Saturday 8 July 2017

While Taking The First Step



There is always excitement about anything you do first. You have an inkling about what is in store, yet you are also aware that there would be unforeseen situations which one is not prepared for. 

It was the first meeting of my tenure as President of the Rotary Club of Thane Metro. AG Krishna Saraf attended the meeting to bolster my confidence, and his words were very soothing. 

I am aware that there is a long march ahead. The first decision which I expected to generate some heated debate was taken unanimously and without any resistance. That was a big surprise! It was about raising the membership fee to Rs 18,000/- per annum. Not a whimper of dissent? Wow! That beats me completely! I am touched by your support, my fellow Rotarians!!

It puts great burden on me to live up to your expectations. But only lucky persons face such a situation. On my part I assure you that I will give my best.

On a lighter note, I told AG Krishna that like him my profession also was concerned with ‘Interior Designing.’ ‘Interior Redesigning’ to be precise. He works on outer spaces, while as HR professional I work on ‘inner spaces.’ 

I never knew that my fellow Rotarians know that trade of working on inner spaces so well. They have, through their support and encouragement, touched my heart. I am acutely aware that the road ahead is not an easy terrain to travel. I have faith in my fellow Rotarians’ ability to stand by me through the thick and the thin. It is for me to take a quick step, the first step. 

And as Dr Martin Luther King said “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”

Thanks fellow Rotarians and AG Krishna for being with me!

Vivek S Patwardhan

No comments:

Post a Comment